The Lupus Foundation of America gives this definition: "Lupus is a chronic (long-term) disease that can cause inflammation and pain in any part of your body. It's an autoimmune disease, which means that your immune system - the body system that usually fights infections - attacks healthy tissue instead." Lupus can affect the skin, joints, and internal organs. People with lupus commonly experience pain, inflammation, fatigue, brain fog, and sensitivity to the sun (it makes us feel sick and activates the disease, introducing the potential for growth. Also, a common drug used to treat lupus, Plaquenil, makes us more likely to burn in the sun. So the sun is not a friend of lupus). If the disease gets worse or internal organs become affected, it gets more serious. Thankfully, this is not yet my problem. I do experience all of the above symptoms in varying degrees depending on the day and season, as well as life factors like overall wellness and stress levels. I have...
I've been thinking about this one for a while. It seems like everyone is talking about dopamine these days. How good it feels to our brains, how it helps us regulate as humans, and how the modern world preys on our chemical systems like a hungry predator... 😳 Dramatic, perhaps, but unless we start using this beautiful brain of ours to filter and decide how and when we access these dopamine mines of the modern world, we may soon find ourselves needing more and more and more just to feel satisfied. More on why that matters in a minute. Dopamine is known as the "more molecule" in some circles. It's the messenger in your brain that says "That was good! Do it again" and "More please". Checking off a to-do item on a list, putting things back in their places, and the allure of endless novelty through scrolling media or exploring the endless internet are just a few examples of when this chemical response happens. In his book, Indestractable , Nir Eyal e...
$50 I earned babysitting just days after setting my goal to earn $100 in the month of September You may have heard - I have been building a private speech-language therapy practice. It's been a long, sometimes beautiful, sometimes exhilarating, sometimes incredibly frustrating ride so far and it's far from over. I took the first few months away from my school job to really focus on letting my mind and body recover. It had been a painful, hard year as lupus, allergies, overwhelm and unacknowledged grief surged like the proverbial beach ball of emotions after being held underwater for too long. I was exhausted. I also recognized how incredibly, exquisitely blessed I was (am) to be in a position to leave my job without intense financial repercussions. As I started to feel like I had found a daily rhythm and care routine that helped my body be well, I also started to feel enormous pressure to "make money" (I do realize this was all from the stories in my head. But it ...
Comments
Post a Comment